LCK Power Rankings Spring 2020
The LCK is a volatile battleground of professional League of Legends. They may not be franchised, they may not have won worlds in a couple years, or even made Finals, but they remain a pillar of competitive League of Legends. It’s always hard to say who is the strongest in the region at any given point. The only for sure thing is that Jin-Air won't lose a single game this split.
- DAMWON Gaming - The second place team in the LCK last year in the regular season Summer fell just a tad short during playoffs and at Worlds, their team remains mostly the same. With the other top of the table teams making a lot of changes it leaves them with high expectations and a clear path to the finals. While I have them at the tippity top of the table, there is quite a high chance they fall down to 4th with how volatile the league is as a whole.
- SANDBOX Gaming - 4th place in regular season Summer as well as in playoffs, but with the likes of GorillA and Leo joining the squad the roster of Summit, OnFleek, and Dove is complemented with some real potential talent in the bot Lane. Ghost/Joker was never a joke but they ultimately failed together to pull out a win when they were needed most.
- Griffin - Okay sure, Griffin is stuck between a rock and a scandal but if we ignore that, we still have the makings of a world-class team Sword in the Top Lane is now backed up by Untara, Tarzan is still around in the Jungle and while they lost Chovy they picked up Naehyun and Ucal, two very capable Mid laners. Viper might need to prove a little more to the world than he did last year making him a threat and Lehends was replaced with Kabble which isn’t ideal but could be what Viper needs to shine through.
- T1 - A rebranded SKT with a lot of changes in the wing. Faker and KKoma broke up and nobody got the kids. That being said Coach Kim has been a coach for 6 years and birthed some of the best Top Laners in the world as he spearheaded Samsung Galaxy, Longhzu Gaming, IG, and DAMWON Gaming. Other than that they lost Khan, Clid, and Mata for Roach/Canna, Ellim/Cuzz, and Kuri. As long as Faker and Kim can get along, the trio of them and Teddy can shape up this squad to be a top 3 team.
- DragonX - Another rebranded team from the likes of Kingzone, while they did a complete overhaul of their roster, keeping only Deft in the Bot Lane, they did however pull out Chovy in the Mid lane and Khalis in the Top lane. cvMax stands in as Head Coach and while he doesn’t have big shoulders to stand on, he does have the makings of a world class team in the palm of his hands. If he’s able to mold the team together they could very well top the table.
- Gen G - This team may very well deserve a top 3 spot but with some of the biggest stars in the league on the team last year they fell to 6th place. The team went through a lot of drastic changes losing Cuvee and Peanut but was able to replace them with Clid and Rascal. BDD comes in as an upgrade for the midlane and if this team can click they could very well contend for first place. Rascal is the only red flag for the team but realistically he just has to be a rock for his team.
- Afreeca Freecs - Some people say that the Freecs will go to Worlds this year, I am not one of those people. A lot of untapped potential could possibly show through but with such high competition this team of unproven players led by Kiin will probably need another year and a half of improvements before they can contest for a 3rd place spot.
- KT Rolster - We all miss the KT curse to be honest, they did grab some well known names this off season in Kuro and TusiN but if they could have only kept Smeb and PraY they’d have been in the running for the top of the table. If they are able to recapture their former glory with this roster I’d be surprised, but maybe Summer will look a little different for them.
- Hanwha Life - hanwha Life was never a team that was meant for greatness, and although they managed to pick up the two big names Griffin lost, there is a lot of doubt surrounding the team’s overall capabilities. Haru is a make or break Jungler, and if Lehends is supposed to carry Zenit then the team has its priorities in order for sure.
- APK Prince - A new team and a similarly bunch of new names to the LCK. Overall it is really difficult to predict how strong this team will actually be. For now, it’s safe to say that they will suffer the same fate their predecessors Jin Air faced. If they show some fight they may scrape by with a win or two.
A lot of people are concerned about the LCK to a certain extent especially now that pretty much every super team is split up save DWG. There is a lot to be discovered in Spring and hopefully we see some clear favorites come Summer. That being said, there’s no reason to believe the League won't be competitive.